Monday, February 14, 2011

Hand Warmers

I went camping this past weekend, in an area where fires were not allowed, and the camping was primitive. The overnight low was in the mid 20's, and while not a dangerously low temperature for campers, it still felt cold for a Texas night. I had a few instant hand warmers and I used two of them as a heat source. Once you take them out of the package, you shake them to start a chemical reaction that provides about 8 hours of heat. I put one at the bottom of my sleeping bag, and put the other on my abdomen, and I was very warm throughout the night. Although I could have survived the night without them, this is a perfect example of how a small amount of preparation can make a big difference in your comfort level when you are in a true survival situation. Since so much of survival depends on your state of mind, a few light weight comfort items can make the difference. I already carry candy and chocolate in my survival kits, and after this weekend, I will be sure that I have some hand warmers in all of my survival kits.


-Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment